Cert IV Christian Life and Ministry
The Certificate IV Christian Life and Ministry is ideal for people wanting to deepen their learning and grow as a Christian leader. It is required study for people wishing to become Lay Preachers in the Uniting Church. This is an Adelaide College of Divinity accredited course (RTO 4863) and runs for 18 months, with an option to study part-time. It is generally delivered via distance learning. However, from Semester 2 in 2017 some of the subjects will be available in a face-to-face format.
You will need to complete 13 units (8 core and 5 electives). Here is a description of the units:
- Christian Scriptures (Biblical genres and principles of interpretation)
- Christian Life (Develop personal practices of spirituality and encouraging it in others)
- Christian Beliefs (and applying them to life and ministry)
- Culturally appropriate mission (Evangelism in Australia)
- Gospels (and communicating there relevance today)
- Ministry Practice (Prepare, conduct and review lay ministry/leadership)
- Communication Skills (to build relationships)
- Plan and Conduct Group Activities
Electives are offered in many areas of ministry to enable you to tailor your studies to suit your interests. The ones listed here are but a few that we would recommend. Please refer to the Adelaide College of Divinity Handbook for details.
- Christology (describing our faith and living as people of Christ)
- Make a presentation (Preaching)
- Christian Heritage (Brief church history and history of the Uniting Church)
- Godly Play
- Psalms (and communicating its relevance today)
- Support the rights and safety of children and young people
- Work Effectively with young people
- Working effectively with Culturally Diverse clients and co-workers
- Pastoral Care
- Mental Illness and crisis management
- Conflict Management
- Grief and Loss
- Children’s Ministry
- Old Testament
- Letters of Paul
Becoming a Lay Preacher
Lay Preachers read the Scriptures, lead prayers, share faith stories and conduct other aspects of congregational worship in the Uniting Church. Lay Preacher candidates undertake prescribed studies and gain supervised practical experience before being appointed by the Uniting Church.
*Please check with your Presbytery for specific requirements.
Christian Life & Ministry Brochure pdf
“I love what God has called me to do,” Mary-Grace Bingham, Uniting College Certificate IV student and Candidate for Lay Preacher. To read more of Mary-Grace's story click here.
To download the brochure for this course click here.